Wednesday, November 21

Helping out a senior

Some good practice with Saori this morning. Stumpy told us to practice my test techniques, but as I've mentioned before, I like to practice a larger variety of techniques than the 5 that are on my test. So while we did do the techniques on my test, we also mixed in some other techniques, like the opposite type, ichi (pulling) vs ni (pushing) techniques, as well as suwariwaza. I definitely screwed up most of the suwariwaza, but I figure it was good practice for Saori. She's going for her shodan (the 1st degree black belt) test at Honbu in a few weeks. I don't think she'll have any trouble passing, but honestly, what is my opinion worth, I just started training 6 months ago.

2 comments:

uchi deshi said...

You can often tell a lot, because you are can be objective about their skill. Good to hear you've been so actively helping out. I found that working with seniors to help them get ready for tests was the best way to improve my own technique.

Japandrew said...

The great thing about training with seniors is that each one of them has a different perspective and style from which you can benefit and start using in your own Aikido.

A great example of this is one time I was practicing sankajo with Saori, and in the middle of the technique, she says, "You learned that from Chris, didn't you?"

I find it really cool that she could recognize another person's aikido in my technique.