Tuesday, February 19

Tale of Two Sensei

I had two very small classes this morning. The 6:00 class was just Saori and me, with Stumpy teaching. We worked on ushiro waza, where the uke attacks from behind, with a focus on maximizing contact, and hence control, with the wrist when moving into the technique.

First we did ushiro waza ryotemochi ikkajo osae I and II, then we did two different types of ushiro waza ryotemochi sokomen iriminage I. What I find most difficult is moving the hands and feet together. I understand that this makes the technique more effective and fluid, but knowing something and and being able to do it are completely different. I suppose that's why we train, right?

The second class, 7:00, was just R Sensei and me. I'm taking the 6th kyu test in two weeks, so we worked on test training, and I felt like I was able to discover and work on some of the small things in my techniques. I finally discovered how shomen uchi sokomen iriminage II works. However, the tip of the day was planting my back foot and using that as a source of power in my techniques. I sometimes still find myself shuffling my feet in the middle of a technique, which means I'm not balanced and centered. I also need to keep my weight forward in kamae and keep that straight line from my heel to my head.

Osu!

1 comment:

uchi deshi said...

Good tip! I'll have to work on reminding myself about that!