Tuesday, March 11

Coming back in style

R Sensei is back from Korea, and he sure let us know it. We had a non stop class starting with kihon dosa renzoku, translated as continuous basic movements. We then went through the entirety of dai ichi kihon waza, the first set of basic techniques. There are about 30 techniques and we did them all, left and right side in about 30 minutes. The entire class was sweating and tired by the end, but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I feel I did pretty well, and while of course there were a few techniques I messed up or just faked my way through, I was able to keep up for the most part. I'm not sure how the rest of the class did, since I did all I could just to focus on myself and my partner.

There were 8 people in class, making 4 pairs and I was lucky enough to train with a former shodan. Former because he hasn't trained in 5 years and chooses not to wear his black belt. It seams he wants to get his confidence back before accepting the weight and responsibility of a black belt. I suppose I can understand that, but at what point do you decide to re-don your black belt once you've taken it off? Maybe Sensei will give him a mock shodan test.

No comments: