Thursday, October 25

Are you ready for this

We did some basic jiyuwaza practice today, initially practicing pivoting, hiyaku ukemi, and then moving on to entering into techniques against a basic forward punch (not sure what the Yoshinkan name is for this strike). Right now I'm still thinking too much about my feet placement, when I need to concentrate on the uke and the fact that his fist is flying toward my body. Add to that a real lack of a working knowledge of the kihon waza (basic techniques). I'm not really too confident about jiyuwaza yet, and in truth it may be a bit early for me to be learning jiyuwaza, but it figure it can't really hurt.

2 comments:

uchi deshi said...

In our school, they start doing jiyowaza practice right from the beginning. We usually have it at the end of every class. It seems to be a good idea, because it's not so intimidating once you get used to it.

Japandrew said...

It does seem to be a good thing to introduce early. Even with a limited repertoire, there's a lot to be learned "outside" of the techniques, thinks like timing, distance, balance...