Thursday, October 4

Jiyu-what?

The day I can execute techniques cleanly during jiyuwaza will be the day I consider myself competent at Aikido. Jiyuwaza is freestyle Aikido, where the uke (attacker or the person receiving the technique) is given a specific attack and the shite (defender or person executing the technique) reacts to the attack with their technique of choice, usually ending in a throw. The uke rolls out, gets up, and attacks again....and again....and again, until the Sensei calls "Yame!" (Stop!)

Today we did some basic jiyuwaza practice with shomen (forward) strikes. Initially we practiced pivoting, and then pivoting in response to a strike, going as far as the block and setting up the uke for a technique. This includes pivoting inside and outside the uke with either left or right foot forward, resulting in four different approaches. We then practiced ending with three different techniques, sankajo, nikajo, and shihonage.

All very interesting, but I can't execute techniques nearly automatic enough for jiyuwaza yet. Additionally, Stumpy said there are three ways to throw from sankajo. I know one, but what are the other two?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I practice a different style of aikido, but I've done sankyo ending with (not completely sure of the names):
- irimi (just cut straight down with the arm)
- tenkan (cut down and turn, using your outside arm in their elbow to spin them back to where you are), and
- zempo (step forward and cut out away from you, so they can roll away).

I'm also just a beginner; I'm sure the yudansha have a couple dozen sankyo throws.