Sunday, December 9

Test day

As both Senseis mentioned after class, it was great to see some of the different levels during the tests. There were 6 people testing at 4 different levels, 9th kyu, 7th kyu, 4th kyu, and 1st kyu. There was a great vibe in the class and it was easy to see that everyone has been very dedicated to improving their Aikido.

On my test, there were things I felt I did well, and of course a myriad of points I need to improve on. This week, R Sensei said some things about kamae that really sunk in, and as a result, I felt I had a strong kamae throughout the test. I wasn't able to stay in kamae through all the waza (techniques), but at least I was starting from a strong kamae. My ukemi was much better than my last test, especially zenpo kaiten ukemi (forward flip). I've been able to slow down the roll to the point where I'm in control and my back leg is extended throughout the flip. The key for me has been to keep the leg I'm pushing off with on the ground longer, giving my back leg more time to get around.

What really frustrated me during the kihon dosa (basic movements) was that my right thigh muscle got so tired so quickly. By the time I got to the 4th kihon dosa, hiriki no yosei II, I had real trouble keeping my form and concentrating on the movement. In my opinion, the kihon dosa was the weakest part of my test.

The kihon waza (basic techniques) part of the test was fairly comfortable for me. I didn't try to think to much, and just let my body reflect the training I've been doing for the past month. The one hiccup was that my uke was changed at the last moment to someone I've trained with only once or twice since starting Aikido. Through no fault of his, I didn't blend as well as I could have. Other than that, I kept my focus and didn't make any major mistakes.

We have one more week of class before the New Years break. I can't believe it, three whole weeks without Aikido. I hope I don't get too soft...

No comments: