Wednesday, December 19

The year ain't over yet

Even though my home dojo is closed for the year, there's other options in this Mecca of Aikido that is Tokyo. Last night Megumi and I went to a class at Yoshinkan Honbu Dojo. The class size was much smaller than I expected, 5 black belts, 1 brown, and 4 whites, including Megumi and myself. However, class was presided over by none other than Shioda Kancho himself. What a treat.

This was my second time going to Honbu Dojo, so due to this and the small class size I was able to relax a little and focus on Aikido. We did some rather difficult techniques, all aya mochi (grabbing shite's right hand with uke's right hand, or left with left). The techniques were aya mochi nikkajo osae I, both suwari and tachi waza (sitting and standing techniques). We also did aya mochi sokomen iriminage II and aya mochi yonkajo nage II. I don't feel like I really nailed any of them, but was able to get a general feel for all of them. Besides who ever actually understands a technique after practicing it for just one class?

I'd like to go back to train again before the end of the year, but their last class is on Sunday, so I'll have to be quick about it.

No comments: